Hurricane Michael Resources

Disaster Assistance

Disaster Assistance

On October 10, 2018, President Trump issued a major disaster declaration for the State of Florida, ordering federal aid to supplement state and local recovery efforts to areas affected by severe storms, flooding, landslides, and mudslides. The storm has displaced many families and communities.

All individuals who were impacted by Hurricane Michael should apply for FEMA assistance. Please call 1-800-621-3362 or visit to apply. Individual assistance does not have an income limitation.

Click here for my full Hurricane Michael Resource Guide. 

FEMA individual assistance allows homeowners to qualify for grants to help cover uninsured costs of restoring flood-damaged homes. Individuals in the following counties may be eligible for FEMA Individual Assistance: Bay, Calhoun, Franklin, Gadsden, Gulf, Jackson, Leon, Liberty, Taylor, Wakulla and Washington.

FEMA public assistance qualifies a county for emergency work, repair or replacement of disaster-damaged facilities, debris removal, and emergency protective measures. Bay, Calhoun, Franklin, Gadsden, Gulf, Hamilton, Jackson, Jefferson, Leon, Liberty, Madison, Suwannee, Taylor, and Wakulla counties in the State of Florida have been designated for public assistance.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is the primary federal agency tasked with helping individuals, businesses, and public entities recover after a disaster. All individuals impacted by the flood should register through FEMA at

Individual Disaster Assistance

Individuals in Bay, Calhoun, Franklin, Gadsden, Gulf, Holmes, Jackson, Liberty, Leon, Taylor, Wakulla and Washington Counties may be eligible for individual assistance:

  • Apply by phone to FEMA: 1-800-621-3362 (TTY 1-800-462-7585 for the speech-or hearing-impaired). Those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS) can call 1-800-621-3362. 
  • You can also apply online anytime at
  • By smartphone or tablet, use

Please have the following information available when you call:

  • A phone number and a reliable alternate in case FEMA needs to call you back; 
  • Address of the damaged property; 
  • Social Security number; 
  • Bank account information (or direct deposit information);
  • Insurance information (if you have insurance); 
  • Brief description of damages; 
  • Current mailing address; and 
  • Pen and paper to write down your registration number.

Government disaster assistance only covers basic needs and usually will not compensate you for your entire loss. If you have insurance, the government may help pay for basic needs not covered under your insurance policy.

Disaster-related assistance may include:

  • Rental payments for temporary housing for those whose homes are unlivable;
  • Grants for home repairs and replacement of essential household items;
  • Unemployment payments for workers who temporarily lost jobs because of the disaster and do not qualify for state benefits (self-employed);
  • Low-interest loans to cover residential losses not fully compensated by insurance;
  • Crisis counseling for those traumatized by the disaster; or
  • Advisory assistance for legal veterans’ benefits and social security matters.

Click here for FAQs on FEMA Assistance.

Quick Guide

Quick Guide

For an immediate life-threatening emergency, call 9-1-1

For non-emergency assistance, call 2-1-1

FEMA: 1-800-621-3362 or 1-800-462-7585 for the speech/hearing-impaired. Apply for disaster aid online at or

Small Business Administration (SBA) Disaster Assistance Center:
1-800-659-2955; online at

Emergency Management
Florida Department of Emergency Management

Florida Division of Emergency Management
2555 Shumard Oak Boulevard
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-2100

Phone: 850-815-4000 or 1-800-342-3557

Map of shelters and quick facts:

American Red Cross:
Disaster and Emergency Assistance:
National Number: 1-800-733-2767

Connect with Evacuees:

Volunteer Information:

Beware of Fraud and Scams:
For more information, please call (866) 966-7226 or visit!OpenForm

For assistance please contact my offices, or visit my website at

Tallahassee Office
300 South Adams Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32301
(850) 891-8610

Panama City Office
840 W. 11th Street Suite 2250
Panama City, Florida 32401
(850) 785-0812
**Physical location temporarily closed, but phones are forwarded and being answered**

Washington, D.C. Office
423 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
(202) 225-5235

Disaster Recovery Centers in the Second District

Calhoun County
Altha School Parking Lot
25793 North Main Street
Altha, FL 32421

Sam Atkins Park
NW Silas Green Street
Blountstown, FL 32424

Holmes County
Holmes County Agricultural Center
1173 E Hwy 90
Bonifay, FL 32425

Liberty County
Veterans' Memorial Park
10405 NW Theo Jacobs Way
Bristol, FL 32321

Franklin County
Carrabelle Public Library
311 Saint James Avenue
Carrabelle, FL 32322

Washington County
Washington County Ag Center
1424 W. Jackson Ave
Chipley, FL 3242

Wakulla County
Wakulla County Community One Stop
318 Shadeville Hwy
Crawfordville, FL 32327

Jackson County
Grand Ridge Town Hall
6910 Hall Street
Grand Ridge, FL 32442

University Extension Office
2741 Penn Avenue
Marianna, FL 32448

Gulf County
Wewahitchka Town Hall
211 FL Hwy 71
Wewahitchka, FL 32465

Port St. Joe Library
110 Library Drive
Port St. Joe, FL 32456

Leon County
LeRoy Collins Main Library
200 W. Park Avenue
Tallahassee, FL 32301

Bay County
Bay County Library
898 West 11th Street
Room #104
Panama City, FL 32401

John B. Gore Park
520 Beulah Ave
Panama City, FL 32404

State & Local Contacts

Florida Division of Emergency Management & Sheriff's Offices

The Florida Division of Emergency Management coordinates the state emergency management program, which is intended to ensure the state and its local governments respond to and recover from disasters. For updates, please visit

Bay County
Emergency Management:
(850) 248-6040 or
Sheriff’s Office: (850) 747-4700

Calhoun County
Emergency Management: (850) 674-8075 or
Sheriff’s Office: (850) 674-5049 or

Columbia County
Emergency Management: (386) 758-1383 or
Sheriff’s Office: (386) 752-9212 or

Dixie County
Emergency Management: (352) 498-1240 or
Sheriff’s Office: (352) 498-1220 or

Franklin County
Emergency Management: (850) 653-8977 or
Sheriff’s Office: (850) 670-8500 or

Gilchrist County
Emergency Management: (386) 935-5400 or
Sheriff’s Office: (352) 463-3410 or

Gulf County
Emergency Management: (850) 229-9110 or
Sheriff’s Office: (850) 227-1115 or

Holmes County
Emergency Management: (850) 547-1112 or
Sheriff’s Office: (850) 547-3681 or

Jackson County
Emergency Management: (850) 482-9678 or
Sheriff’s Office: (850) 482-9664 or

Jefferson County
Emergency Management: (850) 342-0211 or
Sheriff’s Office: (850) 997-2523 or

Lafayette County
Emergency Management: (386) 294-1950 or
Sheriff’s Office: (386) 294-1222 or

Leon County
Emergency Management: (850) 606-3700 or
Sheriff’s Office: (850) 606-3300 or

Levy County
Emergency Management: (352) 486-5213 or
Sheriff’s Office: (352) 486-5111 or

Liberty County
Emergency Management: (850) 643-2339 or
Sheriff’s Office: (850) 643-2235 or

Marion County
Emergency Management: (352) 369-8100 or
Sheriff’s Office: (352) 732-8181 or

Suwannee County
Emergency Management: (386) 364-3405 or
Sheriff’s Office: (386) 362-2222 or

Taylor County
Emergency Management: (850) 838-3575 or
Sheriff’s Office: (850) 584-4225 or

Wakulla County
Emergency Management: (850) 745-7200 or
Sheriff’s Office: (850) 926-0896 or

Washington County
Emergency Management: (850) 638-6203 or
Sheriff’s Office: (850) 638-6111 or

State Agencies

Department of Transportation:
For travel information, visit You can also follow FDOT at (Facebook) or @MyFDOT (Twitter)

Florida Fish and Wildlife: 
For more information, go to, @MyFWC (Twitter) or  (Facebook). 

Department of Agriculture: 
For the latest updates from the Florida Department of Agriculture please visit: 

Florida Department of Health and Human Services:
For information from Florida HHS visit

Florida Department of Financial Services:
The Florida Department of Financial Services has insurance specialists available to answer questions. Claims need to be filed with your insurance company, but the division can assist consumers with questions about insurance and help guide them through the process. Impacted residents can call the Division of Insurance at 1-877-693-5236. For more information, visit 

Florida Department of Education:
For more information about FLDOE resources, visit: 

Florida Attorney General’s Office (AG):
The Florida AG’s office is taking complaints regarding price gouging, fraudulent charities and home repair scams. Consumers can call 1-866-966-7226 or visit to file a complaint.

Florida Small Business Development Center Network (SBDC): 
The Florida Small Business Development Center Network is dedicated to helping small and mid-size businesses throughout Florida achieve their goals by providing free and confidential consulting and low-cost training programs. Please visit for additional information.

Individual Housing Assistance

FEMA also may determine that you qualify for the Individuals and Households Program (IHP). 

IHP provides financial help or direct services to those who have necessary expenses and serious needs if they are unable to meet the needs through other means such as insurance or loans. Up to $33,000 is available in financial help (adjusted each year on October 1st), while some forms of IHP assistance have limits. Flood insurance may be required as indicated below. Forms of help available include: Housing Assistance (including Temporary Housing, Repair, Replacement, and Semi Permanent or Permanent Housing Construction) and Other Needs Assistance (including personal property and other items).

Click here for a more comprehensive guide on Assistance to Individual Households.

The following types of assistance may be available through IHP:

Housing Assistance:

  • Temporary Housing: Money to rent a different place to live or a temporary housing unit if rental properties are not available.

  • Repair: Money for homeowners to repair damage from the disaster that is not covered by insurance. The goal is to repair the home to a safe and sanitary living or functioning condition. FEMA may provide up to $33,000 for home repair; then the homeowner may apply for a Small Business Administration disaster loan for additional repair assistance. FEMA will not pay to return a home to its condition before the disaster. Flood insurance may be required if the home is in a Special Flood Hazard Area. Repair and replacement items include: 
    • Structural aspects of a home (foundation, outside walls, roof) 
    • Windows, doors, floors, walls, ceilings, cabinetry 
    • Septic or sewage system 
    • Well or other water system 
    • Heating, ventilating, and air conditioning system 
    • Utilities (electrical, plumbing, and gas systems) 
    • Entrance and exit ways from the home, including privately owned access roads 
    • Blocking, leveling, and anchoring of a mobile home and reconnecting or resetting its sewer, water, electrical and fuel lines and tanks 

  • Replacement: Money to replace a disaster-damaged home may be provided under rare conditions. FEMA may provide up to $33,000 for home replacement. If the home is located in a Special Flood Hazard Area, the homeowner must comply with flood insurance purchase requirements, local flood codes, and other requirements.

  • Semi?Permanent or Permanent Housing Construction: Direct assistance or money for the construction of a home. This type of assistance occurs only in very unusual situations, in locations specified by FEMA, where no other type of housing assistance is possible. Construction shall follow current minimum local building codes or minimum acceptable construction industry standards in the area. Construction will aim toward average quality, size, and capacity, taking into consideration the needs of the occupant. If the home is located in a Special Flood Hazard Area, the homeowner must comply with flood insurance purchase requirements and local flood codes and requirements.

Other Needs Assistance: The Other Needs Assistance provision of the IHP provides grants for uninsured, disaster related necessary expenses and serious needs.

Covered expenses include:

  • Medical and dental expenses
  • Funeral and burial costs
  • Repair, cleaning, or replacement of:
    • Clothing
    • Household items (room furnishings, appliances)
    • Specialized tools or protective clothing and equipment required for your job
    • Necessary educational materials (computers, school books, supplies)
    • Clean-up items (wet/dry vacuum, air purifier, dehumidifier)
    • Fuel for primary heat source (heating oil, gas)
    • Repairing or replacing vehicles damaged by the disaster, or providing public transportation or other transportation costs
    • Moving and storage expenses related to the disaster

Contact FEMA at 1-800-621-3362 for questions about other items that may be covered.

How We Can Help

If you have been denied for FEMA Disaster Assistance, you may have the opportunity to appeal the decision. Please contact one of our offices so that a member of our casework team can reach out to you in an effort to help resolve this matter.

Our three offices in Panama City, Tallahassee, and Washington, D.C. stand ready to assist you. Please call us if you have any questions or concerns. You can reach our Panama City office by calling (850) 785-0812; our Tallahassee office at (850) 891-8610; and our Washington, D.C. office at (202) 225-5235.

Click here to learn more about your Appeal Rights.

Additional Federal Resources

Small Business Administration Disaster Loans

Whether you rent or own your own home, business, or a farm that is located in a declared disaster area, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the SBA. Please note that the filing deadline for physical damage is December 10, 2018 and the deadline for economic injury is June 11, 2019.
SBA Disaster Loans are available in the Florida counties of: Bay, Calhoun, Holmes, Franklin, Gadsden, Gulf, Jackson, Leon, Liberty, Taylor Wakulla and Washington; for economic injury only in the contiguous Florida counties of: Dixie, Jefferson, Lafayette, Madison and Walton.

Three Ways to Apply to SBA:
  • Apply online using the Electronic Loan Application (ELA) via SBA’s secure website:
  • Apply in person at any Disaster Recovery Center and receive personal, one-on-one help from an SBA representative. You can call SBA at 1-800-659-2955 or email  Individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing may call 1-800-877-8339. 
  • Apply by mail: complete a paper application and mail it to SBA at: 14925 Kingsport Rd., Ft. Worth, TX 76155-2243.


USDA Assistance For Individuals & Small Businesses

After the hurricane, many Florida farmers were left with flooded fields, damaged barns, debris, and destroyed crops. Federal assistance may be available through one of the authorized disaster assistance programs under the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).

Nutrition Assistance
USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) provides food assistance to those in need in areas affected by a disaster. This federal assistance is in addition to that provided by state and local governments. For further information I encourage you to visit their website:

USDA Foods for Disaster Assistance - FNS may provide food to disaster relief agencies, shelters, and mass feeding sites. States may also release USDA foods to disaster relief agencies to distribute directly to households that are in need if normal commercial food supply channels are disrupted, damaged or destroyed, or are unable to function.

D-SNAP - Individuals who might not ordinarily qualify for SNAP may be eligible for D-SNAP if they had expenses related to protecting, repairing, or evacuating their homes (or if they have lost income as a result of the disaster). Additionally, individuals who are already participating in the regular SNAP program may be eligible for additional benefits under the D-SNAP. These Disaster benefits are provided like regular program benefits through an EBT card that can be used at authorized food retailers to buy food.

Landowners, Farmers, Ranchers and Producers Assistance
For more information, visit:

Click here for a more comprehensive guide on USDA resources.

Tax Relief & IRS Assistance

The Internal Revenue Service is providing tax relief to individual and business taxpayers impacted by Hurricane Michael and living in the areas designated by FEMA under the Federal Disaster Declaration. For the latest information about tax relief, please see:

The tax relief is part of a coordinated federal response to the damage caused by the floods and is based on local damage assessments by FEMA. For information on disaster recovery, individuals should visit

Click here for more information on tax relief resources