WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congressman Neal Dunn (Florida-02) released the following statement after voting against H.R. 1, The For The People Act of 2021, a bill that tramples on the Constitution by removing electoral authorities from the states and placing them in the hands of D.C. politicians.
“House Democrats continue to prove that they are here to serve themselves, not you. Today’s vote tramples on the Constitution and steals your taxpayer dollars to pay for their own political campaigns. It’s shameful. No one should ever put politicians before our people.”
H.R. 1 passed the House this evening by a vote of 220 to 210. Among its most egregious provisions, the bill would:
- Uses taxpayer money to directly fund congressional political campaigns.
- Gives away $25 to every individual in the U.S. to donate to the candidates of their choice.
- Nullifies existing state election laws in favor of federal mandates in direct opposition to the U.S. Constitution in areas such as voter registration, absentee ballots, and ballot integrity measures.
- Restricts a state’s ability to maintain their own voter rolls and ensure their accuracy.
- Mandates that states automatically register 16- and 17-year-olds to vote.
Dr. Dunn continued, “Other states can learn a lot about running elections from Florida. We know what we’re doing. The last thing we, or any other state needs, is Washington politicians sticking their noses in our elections.”